Thursday, January 5, 2012

Day 1 & 2

First two competition days were very hot and the flying was challenging. We had perfect weather the first day and the task turned out too short for some. I know that I still have to work on speeding up on very good days. Yesterday (day 2) was the exact opposite. Southerly winds brought the see breeze in and shut everything down. It started blueing out during launching and it just got worse and worse during the day. It was good for me to have some practice from Sweden. This was a good Swedish day. I struggled long and low almost flying backwards at some point but eventually managed to complete the short task and that was the thing to do. The way back home was against 20 kts winds and 3000 ft was already comfortably high. A big thanks to Dave Shorter in his JS1 who was my companion on the way back and found the last thermal that gave us final glide. Ziggy was less fortunate and ended up landing in Yarrawonga. He got an aero retrieve back and was home shortly after I arrived. 


morning routine

lucky ones who made it back yesterday

D1 brought me home again

waiting for Ziggy

We are now waiting for today's briefing. Weather looks similar to yesterday with pretty strong southerly winds. It's gonna be a challenge again.

No comments:

Post a Comment