Monday, December 3, 2012

Adelaide Soaring Club and the 29

We explored one more gliding spot on our latest trip: Gawler, South Australia. The airfield is located only 40 km from Adelaide and has therefore some serious airspace restrictions one has really pay close attention to. We met Graham. I will be flying his glider in this seasons 15-meter Australian Nationals in Benalla. So yes, it is slowly time to step up into the serious flying ;-)
We love Adelaide and stayed in town for one night. I am always amazed by the amount of parks and all kinds of beautiful landscaping all around the city. I still find it hard to get used to Christmas in the middle of summer though. It looks to me like something is not quite right. Especially looking at Santa's winter outfit in 40C heat outside.


A cold beer in a street cafe feels just right in this conditions:



Saturday was thunderstormy and and we only managed to rig Graham's glider. He gave me a short briefing and all the Manuals to read in the evening. I'm always excited and a bit nervous when I'm about to fly someone else's glider. I just want to do everything absolutely right not to upset the owner. It wasn't different this time. I told Graham about my concerns and he just said: "You'll be all right. This glider is much easier the the ones we send people for their first solos in".

out of the hangar and ready to go on the flight line

excited


"If I knew then what I know now" I wouldn't be nervous at all. The glider is a pure pleasure to fly and as easy as it can be. In fact, this could easily be the first solo glider. I had a short flight over Gawler because we still had over 500 km to drive back home that night. I enjoyed every single minute of that flight.

the nice landscapes can fool you ... watch the airspace restrictions

 "selfy" with babushka look

there is a big water not far away



after landing

We didn't plan for that but the car GPS sent us back home via a scenic drive through Adelaide Hills. It is a challenge to drive a glider trailer on these winding mountain roads but the views were to die for. It cost us an additional hour of driving but in the end I think it was worth it.



The next visit to Adelaide is planned in exactly 3 weeks. We'll be picking up the glider so that I have some practice time out of Horsham before the Nationals in Benalla. I just can't wait. I already love the 29.

No comments:

Post a Comment