Tuesday, January 15, 2013

it's not easy

In my opinion yesterday was one of the hardest days of this championships. Blue, low, unreliable with southerly winds. It's complicated for me to plan any tactics and yesterday was a day to just get around. On days like these it's better to stay in groups because gaggles have better chances of survival. I can't do it throughout the whole task though. To be able to be in the front I have to leave the group or just start later and get them on task. Otherwise the handicap will kill me and I will end up on the bottom of the list anyway. I followed a group to the first area yesterday and then decided to continue to the second one on my own. I found myself struggling to find good thermals and being at 4000 ft at the most doesn't allow for many errors. If you miss one or two thermals you can end up on the ground or motoring back up. Another hard decision that just has to be made at a certain point... Towards the end I caught up with Jenny and stayed with her basically till the finish. I managed to get around but my speed was bugger all. I dropped down in the overalls but it's still not too bad - I have only 34 points to the fourth one.

Here are yesterdays results:

And total:

Ziggy was on his own and missed one climb which put him into a field about 20 km short of Benalla. He shared "his misery" with Lothar. Ziggy got a lift back to the airfield with Chad and was already there when I was landing. We hooked up the trailer, retrieved him in less than 2 hours and were back for dinner in the club. One of the most efficient retrieves ever.

We just rigged the 55 and are ready for today's challenge. It will be blue again but might get a bit higher than yesterday, which we all hope for.

Ziggy called himself BatMan this morning

walking on the horizontal

wind sock birdy

tie downs

No comments:

Post a Comment