Thursday, January 17, 2013

Mountain flying

Well ... the same again. Blue day and for a change we were sent into the hills. I've flown in mountains before and know exactly how important and essential the local knowledge is. They always do it once during a competition here and send everyone into the hills. It's not a big issue on a Cu day but challenging for strangers in the blue. You just don't know the spots. It was very tough for me. The terrain is not really landable there and even if your computer shows a glide to a landing strip, you can't even see, it feels uncomfortable. So the tactics was to stay high and top up height whenever possible. It was already late in the day also. The task was almost 400 km and we started about 3 pm. It was almost 5 pm and I still had over 150 km to go over the mountainous terrain.

the sky

two beauties on the grid

the Emu
All in all we had a very scenic flight yesterday and I even managed to take few pictures:






My results are not that impressive but I'm not pushing too hard and just learning to fly the glider, which I fell in love with. I stayed with a group for the first part of the task and then continued on my own. Practice, practice, practice - that's what I need. But we'll get there, won't we?


total after 6 flying days:


Weather forecasts for today are very confusing and it might be really tricky.

No comments:

Post a Comment