Friday, March 18, 2011

initial preparations for the Womens World Championships

This is going to be my 2nd Worlds. This time in Arboga Sweden. There are only two of us flying for Poland this year: Asia Biedermann (standard class) and myself (club class). Asia's partner Ogonek agreed to be our Team Captain which I think is awesome. I will also have a very professional and experienced crew member ;-) We already registered for the comp and managed to book accommodation in a nice motel fairly close to the airport (ca. 7 km). There is still the ferry trip over the creek left to organize.
I'm flying the good old Mike November (Jantar Std 3 "MN") and had a small issue with my Cambridge 302 mounted in the glider. It's been sent back to the US for a warranty repair. The thing returned to Germany (after 3 months) and is now in the customs office ... hopefully they can see the instrument has been to Europe before and won't make me pay the customs toll again.
It is going to be a challenging competition since there are almost only lakes and forests in Sweden and not really many safe landout options. This scares me a bit but I keep myself calm repeating that everybody will be in the same s... My first Worlds were in Szeged, Hungary in 2009 - nice flat land with unlimited options. I will not have too much time to practice in Sweden cause I'm flying the polish standard class nationals shortly before the main event.

I just found these few impressions from the last World Champs.

part of our team logo in 2009

MN in Szeged

it was really hot there

Polish Team at the opening ceremony

and the Aussie Team from 2009


No comments:

Post a Comment