Wednesday, January 13, 2010

another day another try


The first Cu's appeared in the sky around 2 pm yesterday. I declared 200 km triangle for speed and launched. The first leg, going straight to the south, went pretty well - 135 kph after 80 km distance. The clouds were far apart and I could allow myself just to pick the very good climbs which become rare around the first turnpoint. I got really low and already started thinking of making friends with Peak Hill Airfield. I spend 25 minutes to find a descent climb and get high enough to continue. There goes the record ... I was't able to pick up that speed on such a short task anymore. I switched to fun-flight mode and just continued were it looked good. I got a really good climb to 11000 ft. It was only 8 degrees up there. What a bless! The German boys and Paul were thinking about getting their gold height that day so I decided to find cloud high enough for them. It wasn't the day for that either. It started to blue out from the west. I reached my second turnpoint just for fun and headed back home.
You might be laughing about me wearing this silly looking net. I thought Ziggy was kidding me when he got this thing for me. It turned out to be really usefull though. Because the air is so dry in here all the insects are searching for some moisture. They just try to get in any body opening they can find - your mouth, ears, nose. It just drives you nuts. Wearing this net keeps them away from your face and you don't bother anymore. Good stuff! And I really don't give a damn about how I look :-) ... since everybody looks the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment