Saturday, February 11, 2012

Horsham Week Competition Day 7 - I won the day!

Now we're talking! 
I finally managed not to make all the mistakes from previous days again. It resulted in the daily win. I'm very pleased with that especially after the day before when I was already considering redirection of my interests towards playing chess or designing jewelry ;-)

ready for marshalling

The day started with very early Cu's popping all over the place and everyone was concerned about over developments in the afternoon. We could already see pretty high towering Cu's and some spread-outs over the Grampians.

task area looking brilliant

I decided not to wait too long and started my task shortly after the gate was open. It payed off and I followed a great street straight to my first turn not stopping at all for almost 100 km (!!!). This gave me an average of 127 km/h by then and I was higher than I started. What a run.

Cloud base wasn't really high (about 6000-7000 ft MSL) but this caused the clouds and therefore thermals being close together and enabled me just flying the lift without stopping. Half way down the second leg my thermalling was still only 6%. There was no streeting anymore.

I figured I have to fly about 300 km in 2:30 hrs task time and that's what I did. I basically flew a nice FAI 300 km triangle and finished 3 minutes over time. Another thing I got right yesterday - wow!

much better the the previous day

I ended up with 114,5 km/h off the stick with 11% thermalling and 9 thermals over the whole task. Not too bad for an empty (300 kg take off weight) SZD- 55. It would have been much better with water.
Not everyone was so lucky with choosing the start time and clouds already started spreading. This is also why my speed is so much better than others.
I was flying fast, following the lift patterns, didn't get low and kept the optimistic attitude till the end. It just had to work :-)

providing shelter for Foka 5 in case it rains during night

Yesterday's results:


and total for now:


Today is the last flying day and it looks like we'll try to fly. It doesn't look nearly as good as it did yesterday though ... We have an extremely short 2 hrs AAT task all around the place. The forecasts are very pessimistic and there is a chance that the day will be cancelled due to very strong winds. I really want to fly and could really need some more points.

No comments:

Post a Comment