Sunday, February 5, 2012

Horsham Week Competition day 1

The Horsham Week Competition has started. We had the first flying day yesterday. Despite the approaching cold front weather turned out to be better than predicted and we all had good fun flying.

morning of day 1 on the campsite

We had the same 3 hours AAT task for all classes. The first leg against strong wind was in the blue but the Cu's developing in the first area were already visible.

D1 & XT on the grid again but with different contents

Ziggy is not flying this time (he has to work). It is so much nicer and comfortable to fly knowing there is somebody waiting on the ground and will come and get you if needed.

No. 1 crew

I reached the first area without any trouble and connected with clouds. Some of them were better than the others but in general it was all working nicely and I was able to move forward (with 20 kts tailwind) staying high. Interesting, the life cycle of Cu's was fairly short but even the ones already falling apart were still working nicely. The 120 km run down wind was a good one. I didn't want to penetrate the last area to deeply cause I was concerned about my way back home against the wind and with the frontal clouds approaching. I turned with 20 minutes over time and ... had to stop only once on the 96 km way back. There was some nice streeting, no strong sink between clouds and I definitely had my final glide with a huge safe margin 65 km out. Although I didn't make the best speed (about 100 km/h over 300 km task) I enjoyed the relaxed flight. It was also my first flight in the 55 for a long long time.

flying doctors

No comments:

Post a Comment